Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lab Snacks

From J:

Every once in a while, we order stuff from Thorlabs for the lab.  They make optical characterization equipment, post mounts, breadboard tables, and other optomechanical parts that come in handy.  But most importantly, they know who's ordering their stuff: underpaid grad students.  I give you the greatest customer loyalty campaign ever:  Lab Snacks.


Oh, what have we here?  That's a...mighty stylish box you have there.  Your colors are strangely inviting.  And your green dog/dinosaur corporate mascot is very enticing, what with his catchy slogans.  Okay, no need to twist my arm, Lab Snacks box!  Let's have a look inside...


OH. MY. GOSH.  Free food.  Seriously free.  I mean, I didn't pay for it.  My advisor paid for it.  With money that the Department of Energy gave him.  Take note, Newport.  You might sell lamps that can set paper on fire from a few feet away and totally sweet lasers, but you've got NOTHING on Lab Snacks.  I know that when I order a graduated ring iris from Thorlabs I will get trail mix, or Tootsie Roll pops, or occasionally some Airheads or Oreos as a gift.  Sweet.



(and sometimes salty)

2 comments:

  1. So does the one who ordered the supplies get the snacks or is there some rule about sharing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this case, I kept them since I had to drive out to the UPS facility to pick the package up. Normally, we share, but the orderer gets first dibs.

    ReplyDelete