Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kaizen

From A:

Is it the weekend yet?!  I have been so incredibly busy at work.  I'm worn out.  This week, I worked with two of my co-workers and about 25 other assorted people to create this process flow:


Okay, so I'll admit that a wall full of sticky notes doesn't seem that time-consuming or complicated, but the way we created this wall of information is the complicated part.  We had a kaizen event, the first for the organization I work for.  These events are becoming more common as the lean manufacturing practice movement has gained popularity in many different industries.

Although kaizen events are typically 5 days long, we were given 2 days to complete our event.  This meant all the work that would normally be completed on days 1, 3, and 4 of the event ended up being the responsibility of my two co-workers and I to complete.  And let me tell you, it was a challenge!  And during the two days of the actual event, I was working on the laptop the entire time to capture all the information discussed and create a comprehensive action plan for the group and senior leadership:


When I wasn't working on the laptop, I was reporting out on assigned action items for implementation:


The event went very well overall and I'm so glad it's over with.  However, I have excellent content for a publication I'm currently writing.  Keep your fingers crossed that I'll be accepted to speak at conference in February!

No comments:

Post a Comment