Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Conquered

From A:

I'm happy to report that I have finally used the intimidating cable equipment at the gym.  And I discovered that I really like it.  Since two of the machines require you to stand while lifting, it targets your core for stabilization.  It's also really comfortable since the cables swivel to adjust to the appropriate angle.

I began with Total Legs.  This is so much better than using the adduction/abduction machine, which somehow makes my legs cramp up.  In addition to adduction and abduction, I enjoyed using this to really target my quads without having to put a lot of strain on my knees.
Next was the Lift / High Pulley.  This is my favorite of the machines because it allows you to work arms and legs simultaneously.  For example, using the lower grips to do lunges with a biceps curl and overhead press.  This actually requires some concentration which makes me feel like I'm really working out.
And finally, the Chest/Shoulder.  Many of the exercises done on this machine can also be done on the High Lift / Pulley, but this allows you to be seated.  You can also target the arms with more weight because you're not trying to lean against the weights to keep your body upright.
Overall, this was a successful venture outside my workout comfort zone (aka the machines everyone learns how to use in gym orientation).  I plan to continue using them, and hopefully learn even more ways to target various muscle groups.

Update:  Here are some distorted pictures of an old man with bad body form using the Total Legs machine.  Hopefully I look less dorky when I'm using the equipment... but maybe not.

There's also a cheesy promo video here that shows some of the equipment being used.


2 comments:

  1. I still can't quite picture how you use Total Legs. What do you do with those poles that stick up? BTW you can save $450 if you order one for your apartment right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bars are just for stability to hold onto. You stand on the platform with one leg while you work out the other leg (pulling away from the weight stack). I'll add some photos to show how it works - now you see why I was afraid of these machines, right?!

    ReplyDelete