Thursday, September 22, 2011

Eating Acorn

Trader Joe's has some beautiful pumpkins and squash right now.  And thanks to the latest Real Simple magazine, I actually know what to do with them.

Acorn squash.
Tonight with dinner we had parmesan-roasted acorn squash.  I substituted dried sweet basil for thyme (since we had some in the cabinet).  It turned out delicious!

Before baking.
After baking.
We paired it with lemony olive oil pasta, substituting chicken for tuna.

The next recipe we have planned is tortellini with butternut squash.  I have high hopes for it since the other recipes from this month's issue have been excellent.

3 comments:

  1. Squash are starting to appear around here as well. I pulled out that tortellini recipe, too. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! Apparently I need to read this month's issue! I made this soup last week, and it was VERY good: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/soups/butternut-squash-soup-with-ravioli/
    Instead of ravioli, I used whole wheat tortellini. I had never peeled butternut squash before. It's not easy, but this tutorial helped me: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_peel_and_cut_a_butternut_squash/
    I would highly recommend using a veggie peeler like they show in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Colleen! Good timing on the butternut squash peeling info since I'm using it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete