Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cornbread and Chili

Now that fall and its heavenly temperatures have arrived, I decided it was time to have cornbread and chili for dinner.

The cornbread was made with cornmeal from Mount Vernon, using a Nelly Custis recipe that was included.


It turned out being delicious!


This month's Real Simple magazine has some great looking recipes.  I used a chili recipe to go with the cornbread and have two more recipes planned for later this week.  The chili recipe is Chipotle Beef and Beer Chili.


Since I couldn't find chopped chipotles in adobo sauce anywhere around here (this is when I particularly miss the Cuban cuisine influences in Florida), I substituted home-grown jalapenos from my friend Colleen's herb and vegetable garden.  I'm definitely not a spicy food person, but with the seeds and ribs removed from the jalapenos they were pretty mild... and tasty.


I predict we'll be using this recipe again during fall and winter.

1 comment: