Thursday, August 18, 2011

Banana Muffins

From A:

Somehow we ended up with a lot of bananas last week.  Looking for a way to use them, I found a recipe online for banana muffins.



Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 large bananas, mashed

3/4 cup white sugar

1 egg

1/3 cup butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Scoop into muffin pans.

Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.


I followed all the measurements and instructions in the recipe, with the exception of adding some chopped walnuts for texture.  The batter was easy to make and the muffins baked up perfectly.  I made large muffins and cooked them for 25 minutes.


J and I both LOVE them.  It's definitely a recipe to keep around for those times we end up with more bananas than we can eat before they become mushy.  And since the ingredients are things we usually keep in the fridge or pantry, it makes this a very practical recipe.


I might experiment a little the next time I make them, by either making mini muffins or by adding cinnamon and/or nutmeg.  But overall, I highly recommend this recipe!

3 comments:

  1. I recently made banana bread to also use up some bananas, and this time I added some shredded coconut and chopped roasted macadamia nuts. Yum! I think the next time I make them I may sprinkle some chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to make something for a bake sale coming up next week. This could be a good contender. Although it doesn't to much to get rid of the huge Ziploc bag of shredded zucchini I have in the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen - I love the chocolate chips idea. A great combination with banana!

    Chelsea - Shredded zucchini is basically the same thing as shredded coconut, right?

    ReplyDelete