Sunday, October 6, 2013

I did another house thing!

From J:

So, here I am to brag about the latest house thing that I did, which I'm (irrationally?) proud of.  It all started on a Monday afternoon with a pipe leak under the sink...just a fine mist, really, but it had been going on for long enough to leave some standing water.  A pinhole had developed in a ~2" copper nipple between two tees, conveniently below the shutoff valve for the sink supply.  This was no big deal to fix - I used some two-part epoxy and wrapped that section of pipe rather than cutting it all off and resoldering.  But that's not what I'm proud of.

While I was under the sink cleaning up the water I had an epiphany.  "Self," I said, "there's a lot of wasted potential storage space under here.  You should build a shelf in multiple sections that fits around all of the pipes to solve that issue.  And your wife will be very happy with you."  My internal monologue always has my best interest at heart.

So that's what I did.  I used some scrap plywood and 2x6's leftover from building our washer/dryer pedestal, did some measuring, made some cuts with my jigsaw, and presto!, storage space. 

First piece - the hole in the center is for easy removal, as the dishwasher shutoff is underneath this section.
 
Getting there...

Doubled storage space = happy wife.
2x6's on their edge ended up being almost the perfect height to clear some of the piping (that's why it's not flush with the existing shelf).  Slap on some paint to match the existing cabinets and it was an easy job!  Total cost: $0.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment