Monday, November 14, 2011

White Bean Stew

Another 'thumbs up' review for a Real Simple recipe... and this one is extra exciting because it uses the slow cooker.

I'm slow in trying this month's recipes since I just received my replacement November issue.  The original issue was either never sent to me or the mailman stole it for his wife.  Luckily, Real Simple customer service was great about sending another copy.  

Little-known factoid: Real Simple's customer service department also serves Fortune Magazine.  I don't really see the connection, but whatever works for them is fine with  me.

The white bean and kielbasa stew was inexpensive, simple (real simple!), tasty, warm, and satisfying.


I made cornbread on the side (shout out to Mount Vernon's Grist Mill for grinding the corn meal just like in the good 'ol days), which was scrumptious with the stew juice (the term 'stew juice' sounds gross, but you get the idea).

The next Real Simple recipe on our list is the bok choy and apple slaw.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I made a similar one I found online: http://www.food.com/recipe/kielbasa-with-tomatoes-and-white-beans-58823. We were happy with it, but would double the tomatoes and beans. We didn't have the delicious cornbread, though! Martha Washington would be proud...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect way to use our Mount Vernon cornmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen - I can see where the food.com recipe needs more tomatoes and beans. I thought the 1 pound of dried white beans in the Real Simple recipe was a good amount. The starch in all the beans made the stew really creamy.

    Chelsea - I used the recipe that came with the corn meal (on the print-out) and it comes out perfectly cooked and delicious every time.

    ReplyDelete