Wednesday, September 29, 2010

World Travels, pt 1

From J:

Ladies and gentlemen, I have returned from an exotic locale.  Where was I?  The view from my hotel window:


That rather large building in the center would be one of the Petronas Twin Towers in cosmopolitan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  I recently competed (and won) as the USA representative in a lecture competition.  Time difference from Gainesville, FL: +12 hours.  Miles flown to get here: ~12000 (~22 hours of flight time).  First restaurant seen in the airport upon deplaning: Burger King.

Exhibit A: America wins.

This was a continuing theme.  McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Chili's, A&W, Subway, and a few other American restaurants were around the hotel.  KFC, in particular, was popular.  The Colonel gazed down upon me on seemingly every block.

Come, peons!  Enjoy my fried chicken in either original or the spicy variety I serve in Asia!

Kuala Lumpur was a neat city: very modern, easy to get around, friendly, and safe.  We had a lot of downtime from the competition and were able to do lots of tourist stuff (a followup post on this).  Now, I'll laundry-list a few photos!

Our hotel, with the KL Tower in the background.  It was rather tall, but I didn't get a chance to go up it.

The famed Petronas Twin Towers, which are fricking huge.  I love this photo.

To illustrate just how enormously tall the twin towers are, here's a photo from my window on a rainy day.  Rumor has it that Zeus reigns from on top of the tower 1 spire.

Speaking of Zeus, I watched quite a few crappy movies on my flights.  The best, non-crappy movie: Shrek Forever After.  Second place: Kick Ass (absurdly violent, but amusing). Movies that nobody has any business watching: Robin Hood, Prince of Persia, Ninja Assassin (the title sums it up nicely), and (here's where Zeus comes in) Clash of the Titans.  Date Night was so-so.  I also watched a Chinese movie staring Jackie Chan called Little Big Soldier which was tedious but way better than some of the other crap I watched.

I'm off to do some science now, but I'll post again with some tourist shots of Kuala Lumpur.



1 comment:

  1. Cool pictures. Isn't Petronas also the name of the deer thing that Harry Potter shoots out of his wand?

    ReplyDelete