Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The post where I give out a delicious recipe

From J:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the object of my recent affections:


Panera's Asian Sesame Chicken Salad. And no, I didn't take this photo. I found it on the internet. Anyway, this salad is delicious. I MUST HAVE IT. But it costs $6.99. I REFUSE TO PAY THAT MUCH.

A little bit of googling revealed several imitation recipes that looked terrible but one that looked pretty good. To no surprise, this salad's magic is all in the dressing. I tinkered around a little bit with the one I found and came up with this:

2 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil (the dark stuff)
3 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/8 tsp lemon juice
2 packets of Splenda (4 tsp)

Whisk vigorously. If you want some more oil in there for some reason, add a little bit of vegetable oil to thicken it up, but it really does nothing for the overall experience and adds some calories. The end result is tart and fruity with a little bit of a toasty, nutty flavor from the sesame oil. For the rest of the salad,

Chicken (we used lemon pepper rotisserie)
Fresh cilantro (just a bit)
Sliced almonds
Chow mein noodles
Romaine (or spinach, my preference)

Seriously, this is good. I would say that it's g--d eats, but I don't want to get sued.

3 comments:

  1. Looks good. Do you think that Splenda works better than regular sugar or is that just what you found when you were researching the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine that regular sugar would work just fine. The original recipe had Splenda instead of sugar. They used a bit more, though, which made it too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you wanted to say that, I don't think Alton would mind.

    ReplyDelete